Löhrieth is a small village, with a population of a little under 300 inhabitants, 3km from and under the administration of Bad Neustadt an der Saale. The village of ‘Loherath’ which means ‘clearing the bush’ was first mentioned in 1158 as part of the aristocratic estate of Bildhausen although the clearing itself probably took place 1000 years prior to this.
In 1596 all 38 inhabitants of Löhrieth were obliged to pay taxes to the Earldom of Wurzburg.
In 1754 a church was built in Löhrieth and dedicated to the memory of St Jakobus. At around 1800 the village consisted of 45 houses and in 1814 there were 47 families amounting to 197 people in total.
In 1922/23 the mayor provided for the electricity supply in Löhrieth but the majority of the village rejected the construction of a water supply. After World War II the village was in a poor condition and the mayor Adolf Kramer (1945-72) led a number of major building projects which changed the appearance of the centre of the village; water was piped to the village; a youth centre and equipment hall for the fire brigade was constructed as was a sports field and new school. In the 1960’s the roads were put in, an open stream used to run where Builhauser Straße is today, and this enabled the use of large farm machinery. Villagers are very proud of their tractors. Löhrieth has its own voluntary fire brigade, a vetran association, a sports club, a rifle club and a band.